Kyoto World Water Grand Prize
The Kyoto World Water Grand Prize is an international award jointly organized by the Japan Water Forum and the World Water Council. This 5th edition will reward grass-roots organizations from developing countries involved in the field of water.
This prestigious prize aims to find and develop outstanding grass-roots activities related to water issues around the world. These activities may include projects, awareness-raising campaigns and promotion of participatory process on water-related issues such as water supply and sanitation, water-related diseases, irrigation, drainage, dams, river and lake basins, wetlands, groundwater, poverty, gender and/or ethnic equity, capacity building, community participation, poverty reduction and more.
The selection process for the 5th Prize will focus particularly on organizations with a record of innovative and expandable grassroots activities that may serve as a model for others. Consideration will also be given to the contents of the project, which is to be funded by the grant, including the degree of problem-solving, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and expandability.
The winner will be granted an award of 2,000,000 JPY (approx. 18,000 USD) Prize will be awarded during the 8th World Water Forum in Brasilia (18-23 March 2017).
This 5th edition, co-organized by the Japan Water Forum and the World Water Council, was initiated by the City of Kyoto as host of the 3rd World Water Forum in 2003. Since then, the Kyoto World Water Grand Prize has been awarded every three years, at each World Water Forum.
The Kyoto World Water Grand Prize laureates
- 2006 Prize Winner - Awarded at the 4th World Water Forum in Mexico City, Mexico: Gram Vikas (India)
- 2009 Prize Winner - Awarded at the 5th World Water Forum in Istanbul, Turkey: Watershed Organization Trust (India)
- 2012 Prize Winner - Awarded at the 6th World Water Forum in Marseille, France: Katosi Women Development Trust (Uganda)
- 2015 Prize Winner - Awarded at the 7th World Water Forum in Deagu, Korea: Environment and Public Health Organization (Nepal)
- 2018 Prize Winner - Awarded at the 8th World Water Forum in Brasilia, Brazil: Charité Chrétienne pour Personnes en Détresse (Togo)
Outcome of the 5th edition
The Japan Water Forum and the World Water Council had the pleasure of awarding the 5th Kyoto World Water Grand Prize to Charité Chrétienne pour Personnes en Détresse (CCPD - Christian Charity for People in Distress), a grassroots organization from Togo. Read more
For more information:
Japan Water Forum
6th Floor, 5-4 Nihonbashi Hakozaki-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0015 Japan
Phone: +81(0)3-5645-8040 Fax: +81(0)3-5645-8041