World Water Council mobilising knowledge and policies at the XVI IWRA World Water Congress in Cancun
Next 29 May to 02 June 2017, in Cancun, the XVI IWRA World Water Congress will be an opportunity for the World Water Council to put forward its advancements on crucial initiatives. Among others, the initiatives "Water and Climate Change", "Integrated Water Resources Management" and "Financing Water Infrastructure, will be a part of the Congress. The preparation of the 8th World Water Forum will also be a key activity, as an ISC meeting as well as several Forum related sessions will take place to continue the Forum’s successful preparation.
High-Level Panel on Water and Climate
Tuesday, 30 May 2017 between 10:50 and 12:20, Gran Cancun Room. How to further promote the importance of water management in the COP process when dealing with the challenges posed by climatic changes?: this topic shall be debuted by a high level panel convened by the World Water Council Water. The Panel shall have a particular focus on climate change adaptation. World Water Council governors, including Vice-President Doğan Altınbilek and Jose Carrera, will consider the implementation of the Global Climate Action Agenda and will propose recommendations for actions to be taken. Chaired by Cecilia Tortajada, editor of the World Water Council publication “Increasing Resilience to Climate Variability and Change”, the Panel will evoke concrete examples of what works in climate change adaptation as it pertains to water management.
High-Level Panel on Integrated Water Resources Management
Wednesday, 31 May 2017 between 12:40 and 14:10, Gran Cancun Room, the World Water Council IWRM Task Force is convening a High-Level Panel on IWRM. The Panel will address the role of IWRM towards the 2030 Agenda from different perspectives, and make recommendations for revitalizing IWRM towards action at all levels. The Panel should be seen as part of a process, not just an ‘event’, to be continued in a process of alliance building among key stakeholders in IWRM implementation, and advanced at events such as Stockholm World Water Week in 2017 and 8th World Water Forum in 2018. The Panel includes several high-level actors, among which President Benedito Braga and the Council Governor Blanca Jimémez-Cisneros. The Co-chairs of the World Water Council Task Force on IWRM will have an important role during the Panel. Indeed , the opening keynote address will be made by Mark Smith, while Torkil Jønch Clausen is moderating the discussion.
High-Level Panel on Water and the Sustainable Development Goals
Monday, 29 May 2017, between 12:40 and 14:10, Gran Cancun Roam, Karin Krchnak and Jose Carrera, governors of the World Water Council, will participate at this Panel aimed to address the role of water in SDG implementation from different perspectives in light of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and make recommendations for actions to be taken. The Panel is not intended simply as an 'event', but rather as an important milestone in a process of strategy development and alliance-building among key stakeholders that will continue at subsequent key events, including Stockholm World Water Week in 2017 and 8th World Water Forum in 2018.
Milestone of the preparatory process towards Brasilia 2018
Wednesday 31 May 2017 between 15.30 and 18.50, the World Water Council is organizing a special session entitled “Bridging Stakeholders’ Knowledge and the 8th World Water Forum Thematic Framework” in collaboration with the Secretariat of the 8th World Water Forum. The special session will gather the Thematic Process coordinators and other interested stakeholders to develop together the Forum Thematic program at a more detailed level. President Braga will give the opening remarks to carry out and accelerate the 8th World Water Forum preparatory process. Thursday 1 June, the 5th meeting of the International Steering Committee (ISC) of the 8th World Water Forum will take place during the IWRA Congress. Each of the five commissions of the Forum will report on progress since last April’s 2nd Stakeholders Consultation Meeting in Brasilia.
An opportunity to convene other sessions to move water issues ahead
- Monday 29 May 2017, 09.30 – 12.20: President Braga will give the opening remarks at the XVI IWRA World Water Congress Opening Ceremony. In the global water agenda at a decisive time, the Council is actively participating to this important congress which is providing a meeting place to share experiences, promote discussion, and present new knowledge, research results and new developments in the field of water policy and science from around the world.
- Tuesday 30 May 2017, 09.00 – 10.30: The World Water Council, in collaboration with the Latin America Development Bank-CAF, is co-convening a special session entitled “Making investments on multi-purpose water infrastructure fit to finance”. President Braga is invited to make the opening remarks to encourage greater investment in water infrastructure worldwide, including multi-purpose infrastructure.
- Tuesday 30 May 2017, 09.00 – 10.30: Korea Water Resources Corporation will convene a special session entitled “Smart Water Management (SWM): Bridge to WGG & SDGs ‐ the technological innovation needed for “Water for all”
- Tuesday 30 May, 15.30-17.00: Vice President Dogan Altinbilek will participate in the Special session S5-61 “COP22's legacy: Implementing the Global Climate Action Agenda in the water sector”, organized by INBO. The aim is to implement the Global Climate Action Agenda in the water sector. A crucial challenge for the Council.
- Tuesday 30 May, 17.20-18.50: Executive Director Tom Soo will chair a session on “Water Policy and Governance”
- Friday 2 June 2017: Executive Director Tom Soo will speak at the special session “World Water Data Initiative”
- All week: Come and meet the World Water Council and 8th World Water Forum.