Involving Political Actors
While the World Water Council has built ongoing relationships with a number of Ministries around the world since its inception, mobilizing political support for water issues remains the organization’s raison d’être and bilateral cooperation has multiplied.
Since 2009, the World Water Council has also been involved in the World Water Forum’s Parliamentarian process and has supported a growing network of parliamentarians for water through a number of events and initiatives, including the Parliamentarian’s HelpDesk for Water. Communications efforts have also been undertaken in the past around major political rendez-vous, like the G7, the G20, and the Singapore Water Leaders’ Summit.
Actions and outputs projected in the 2016-2018 Strategic Plan
- Work with governments, and partners, to increase the visibility of water on the agenda of key multi-lateral political forums
- Work in partnership with the host country to engage political actors between successive World Water Forums
- Continuous multi-level political processes
- Strengthened parliamentarian network for water
- Closer relationships with decision-makers at the highest possible political levels
- Increased visibility for water within key political arenas