Photo Contest 2010
Water and Cities Photo Contest 2010
The World Water Council launched the International Water Photo contest on the occasion of the Expo 2010 Shanghai China to raise wider awareness on the many water facets in urban areas.
428 pictures entered the competition and were screened on the World Water Pavilion of Shanghai Expo in September and October 2010. The international Jury first selected a Top list of 12 photos and voted on 14 September for the Three Winning Photos.
"Water and Cities"
The photos in competition should tell a news story about water in cities from around the world. They should capture the essence of a happening in a single moment translating into a frozen picture. The photos can convey action, passiveness, success or failure, urgency or progress but should be centered around how urban life affects water and interacts with water.
- Water in urban life – Turn on your tap and the water flows… or not. Where does your water come from, which cycle does it follow from its source to sink, what happens with it once it’s flushed?
- Water and Climate Change – floods, droughts, pollution and scarcity are just some of the challenges millions of people experience in the face of climate change. What are their solutions or recurrent problems? What is the reality of climate change in small or mega cities?
- Water for Health and Development – What are the efforts to reach a universal access to water and sanitation? How to citizens see and appreciate their connection and access?
No entry fee, payment or purchase is required. Each entrant may fill the entry form and submit only one picture. Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible, no print or film submission will be accepted for entry into this contest All digital files must be 5 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JGP format, with a resolution of at least 300 dpi, a minimum size of 1600x1200 pixels, landscape or portrait, and in color. Deadline for submissions is 15 July 2010. Mail notifying winners will be sent out before 6 Septembre 2010.
By sending the Entry Form, the participant consents to entry of his or her submission and agrees to the Official rules and Regulations and the decisions of the judges.
- 1st Prize: 1500 Euros
- 2nd Prize: 1000 Euros
- 3rd Prize: 500 Euros
- Special Shanghai Prize (Best Picture taken in Shanghai): 1000 Euros
The first-prize winner will be invited to participate in an award ceremony during the Universal Expo of Shanghaï (incl. flights and accommodation for 2 nights). In addition, honourable mention will be given to 5 pictures.
A first selection will be made by the prize committee according to the compliance of the pictures with the theme and with requested format and quality. The eligible pictures will be submitted to the Jury and screened on the World Water Pavilion during the “Water month” of the Shanghai Expo, from 6 September to 6 October 2010.
The Jury will select the Prize winners, taking into consideration:
- The impact of the picture
- The originality and aesthetics of the photography
- The technical excellence