Ministry of Water Resources, China
Ministry of Water Resources, China - MWR
(College 2 - Governments and government authorities)
About the organization
The Ministry of Water Resources of the People’s Republic of China is the Department of the State Council that is responsible for water administration.
It is responsible of the following activities:
- Formulation of water-related policies, development strategies and medium and long-term development plans. Drafting and implementation of legislation and design of water-related regulatory frameworks.
- Implementation of integrated Water Resources Management, including atmospheric water, surface water and groundwater. Coordination of domestic, industrial, environmental and ecological water utilisation.
- Water resources protection, including plan formulation, water function zoning, water carrying capacity identification, water sources protection, groundwater utilization and protection, etc.
- Prevention and management of flood and drought disasters.
- Water conservation management, with respect to policy, planning, standard, and water-saving society establishment.
- Management of hydrology-related issues, including hydrological information monitoring, stations network development and management, quantity and quality of groudwater monitoring, forecasting and information publication.
- Management and protection of water projects, dikes and coastlines. Development and utilization of major rivers and lakes, river mouths and mudflats.
- Water and soil conservation management.
- Management of irrigation, drainage and rural water supply. Development and management of rural electrification and small hydropower-for-fuel projects.
- Investigation and punishment of water-violating activites. Coordination of water conflicts. Supervision over safety of water projects.
- Guidance and management of water-related science and technology development.
- Management of international water cooperation and transboundary water affairs.
About the Governor representative
Mr. LIU Zhiguang is Deputy Director General of the Department of International Cooperation, Science and Technology of MWR. He has been involved in water-related international cooperation since 1985. Mr. LIU has rich experience in international water events organization, management and coordination. He has played an important role in water events organizing by MWR, participated in several important international water-related meetings, including the World Water Fora, water-related UN conferences, symposia and conferences on irrigation and drainage, large dams, water resources management, etc. In the Ministry, Mr. LIU is currently responsible for bilateral and multilateral cooperation between China and foreign governments and international organizations in the water sector, as well as trans-boundary water international cooperation and foreign-funded projects management.
About the Alternate representative
Mr JIN Hai is Division Director of the Department of International Cooperation, Science and Technology of MWR. He is mainly responsible for water-related multilateral cooperation, including study developments and trends in multilateral water affairs; coordinate multilateral cooperation with between MWR and UN agencies, other international organizations and water management authories of foreign countries; organize and participate in important water evetns; manage grant projects with international organizations. Before taking the post of Director of Multilateral Cooperation Division in the Depeartment, Mr. JIn has long been involved in bilateral cooperation and was once responsible fro trans-boundary water management.