Increasing Local Capacity
Making a difference in Water Governance through Increased Local Capacity Development
Timeframe: 2006 – 2007
Streams of knowledge
‘Increasing Local Capacity’ is one of the five key result areas of the Asia-Pacific Water Forum, within which APWF generates opportunities for experience sharing and peer learning between mayors and other local government leaders in order to improve water services and water resource management. Within the scope of this key result area the project ‘Making a difference in Water Governance through Increased Local Capacity Development’ is being proposed.
The project is intended to contribute towards the attainment of the three pre identified priority themes for the summit on water financing, disaster management and water for development and ecosystems. Simultaneously, the proposed undertaking also aims to transform LGAs into proactive partners of government and non-government organizations in the management of water resources as well as delivery of water and sanitation services. LGAs are perceived as a potent mechanism to ensure the attainment of the MDG target with LGAs playing a pivotal role.
The overall objective is to facilitate the proactive involvement of local government authorities for effective water management and improved delivery of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene services.
Specifically, the objectives are as follows:
• To build up a network and partnership composed of local government
authorities and local government executives
• To strengthen LGA- civil society relationships towards coordinative water
• To promote peer learning and capacitate local government authorities in the
area of effective and sustainable water management
• To compile water resources management capacity development materials
tailored for local government authorities
Major Project Activities:
- Network Identification, Mapping and Profiling
- Water Management Learning Materials Packaging
- Conduct of Knowledge Fair
- Water Management - Focused Study Tour
- Providing Unheard voices at the summit
For more information on the project visit the web site of the Asia-Pacific Water Forum.