Cities: At the heart of growth
In cooperation with its partners, the World Water Council has been supporting local and regional authorities on their water challenges, particularly since the inauguration of the Istanbul Water Consensus in 2008.
The 7th World Water Forum witnessed the creation of a unique collaboration between the World Water Council, ICLEI, UCLG, UN-Habitat and others to strengthen outreach and impact towards these stakeholders, resulting in the Daegu-Gyeongbuk Water Action for Sustainable Cities and Regions, which was confirmed during the 7th World Water Forum’s Conference of Local and Regional Authorities for Water. In addition, other subjects, such as climate and disasters, demand management, sanitation and financing, have particular importance for water management at the local level.
Actions and outputs projected in the 2016-2018 Strategic Plan
- Work with local and regional authorities and other partners to identify effective measures to promote universal access to safe drinking water and sanitation
- Undertake, with key partners, targeted analysis to identify the financial barriers and economic opportunities of enhanced urban water security
- Undertake, with key partners, targeted analysis to place integrated urban water management at the heart of sustainable urban development and planning
- Local and regional authorities engaged in ongoing policy dialogue and harmonisation efforts
- Collection of knowledge around water and cities for reference and capacity-building